OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2015

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 2015 20:48:34 -0500
Our exciting day in northern Ashtabula County began about 9:45AM. While heading east on I-90, at about mile marker 230, off the northeast corner of the bridge over The Ashtabula State Scenic River, we found a nearly pure white Red-tailed Hawk (photos available), sitting on the top of a pine tree. We arrived at The Conneaut Harbor Area about 10:15AM. The previously reported Little Gull was seen flying, well off the end of The Marina Road, looking toward The Lighthouse. At about 10:30AM, in our SUV, we traversed the super soft sand out onto "The Sandspit". Our only shorebird of the day, a single Dunlin, greeted us. About a dozen Common Mergansers, along with a single Common Loon, eight Horned Grebes, two Bald Eagles, and numerous Bonaparte's Gulls, were here and there. Vocal Snow Buntings were zipping around the spit. At about 11:15AM, while doing a brief lakewatch from the observation deck, we had our #1 highlight of the day, 32 Brant flying to the west, well offshore. In the platform lagoon area were 8 Gadwall, 2 male Hooded Mergansers, 2 American Wigeons, and 2 American Coots. Upon our return to the end of The Marina Road at about noon, we were thrilled to find that Liz McQuaid and Chuck Slusarczyk had the Little Gull staked out, close-by, sitting on the water. For the next hour and a half, the four of us, along with several others, witnessed and shared the Little Gull, giving us an aerial showcase up close and personal. It would go from resting on the surface of the harbor water, to feeding on small fish in the inner dock area, seemingly  unconcerned by our presence. This was definitely one of those special memorable birding moments for us. While being enamored with the Little Gull, we all, were sometimes distracted by up to thirty Snow Buntings flying by within several feet of us. On our way home, at about 3:15PM, we stopped by North Kingsville Sunset Park, to do a little more lake watching. Vocal Golden-crowned Kinglets were ambassadors to the park. Found off the Lake Erie bluff was a raft of ninety Red-breasted Mergansers, with a few Common Mergansers mixed in, over fifty Horned Grebes, some Buffleheads, and two adult Bald Eagles. Good weather! Great day!

Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County