OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2015

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 2015 07:33:39 -0500
Interesting grackle observations. I'd like to add one, from an
unpublished manuscript lent to me, written by W. F. Henninger, an Ohio
ornithologist and Moravian Brethren pastor, just about 115 years ago.
The "canal" mentioned was the Ohio Canal, back when it was the closest
thing we had to freeways at the time; hence the three hotels in this
little Pike County seat, now a freckle on the map with a human
population of about 4500.
        "Quiscalus quiscula aeneus.  Bronzed Grackle. Very common summer
resident. Arrival: April 8, 1895; March 24 1896, March 8, 1898, March 4,
1899, March 5, 1899, Nov. 2, 1900.  Two Grackle roosts were observed by
me during the summer months of 1900; principally was my attention turned
to the one in the midst of the town of Waverly in the Water Street Park
at the Canal.  The Grackle roost was just across from 3 hotels, but the
birds were seldom molested by the people.  This roosting place first
came under my observation on July 8th.  The first birds, that would come
in every evening were solitary ones; they began to come in at 4 p.m.
when the days became shorter, from 15 to 20 minutes earlier. The rest
would come in bunches of 3, sometimes 4, flocks of 50 to 200 in short
intervals.  Sometimes they were disturbed and many would circle around
for a long time before settling.  In the morning the last ones would
leave at 5 a.m.—this grackle roost was of great interest to any bird
lover. During the year 1900 it has become the custom of many wealthy
young people in Chillicothe to shoot the “black birds” when they go to
roost of an evening, as they are considered “fine eating.” As laws in
this country are written for all, but never used against the wealthy,
they go unpunished; who would want a wealthy man for an enemy for the
sake of a “blackbird” or such a trifle as shooting inside of the city
limits!"
Bill Whan
Columbus