OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2015

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 2015 21:14:31 +0000
I took advantage of the splendid weather today and got some birding in in NE Ohio.  I spent the morning at Conneaut harbor.  Beware if you go there, lots of soft sand driving out to the spit.  Highlights were: 12 gadwalls, pied-billed grebe, 223 double-crested cormorants, great blue heron, 7 Am. coots, 4 greater yellowlegs, dunlin, 75 Bonaparte's gulls, an ad. LITTLE GULL, and 35 snow buntings.  At lunchtime I checked Walnut Beach in Ashtabula; birds there included blue-winged teal, golden-crowned kinglet, white-throated sparrow, and swamp sparrow.  In the afternoon I birded Mosquito L.; it's still loaded with birds including: 6 wood ducks, 350 gadwalls, Am. black duck, 10 Am. wigeon, n. shovelers, 75 green-winged teal, n. pintails, ruddy ducks, 42 double-crested cormorants, great blue herons, 17 sandhill cranes, Bonaparte's gulls, 800 ring-billed gulls, and 150 c. grackles.  Craig Holt, Lowellville