OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2015

From:
Stefan Gleissberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stefan Gleissberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 2015 01:31:40 -0500
On Thursday, 5 Nov around noon, the immature Snow Goose first reported by Phil Cantino on 2 Nov, was still in the same location just upstream of Richland Avenue Bridge.

First it was with Canada Geese across the river from the Convo, and then flew into the river and swam to the near edge where it bathed, giving good photo opportunities:

I observed and video-taped an interesting bathing behavior: The bird turned head-first upside down, then used several wing flaps to re-emerge side ways. According to Mckinney, F. 1965 (The comfort movements of Anatidae. Behaviour 25:120-220.), this somersaulting occurs generally in the family Anatidae. Stills from the video are embedded in the above eBird checklist.

Bird on--

Stefan
==

Stefan Gleissberg