OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2015

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 2015 18:59:31 -0500
I stopped by several south Columbus parks today and was rewarded with a last push of temperate migrants, mostly as an influx of winter resident landbirds.  I stopped at Heron Pond, the Borrow Pits, and the Confluence areas of 3-Creeks Park, then moved up Blacklick Creek through the Groveport bikepath and the Chatterton Greenbelt, and finished at Blacklick Woods MetroPark.  Leaves are mostly down here, but the temperatures were still mild.  I even had 3 butterflies at Chatterton (Cabbage White, Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent).  Notable birds included:

Great Egrets - there were still 3 of these beauties on the bikepath Borrow Pit at 3-Creeks
Wood Ducks - a flock of 11 was at Heron Pond
Green-winged Teal - a feeding flock of 10 birds was at the bikepath Borrow Pits
Sapsuckers - 2 were squabbling around Turtle Pond at the Confluence area of 3-Creeks
Brown Creepers - single birds were at many different locations, probably pushed down by the cooling weather
Winter Wren - the only 1 was along the Beech-Maple Loop at Blacklick Woods
Golden-cr.Kinglets - small flocks in many locations, also probably representing a late migration
Robins - most common bird at many locations, with many flocks, totalling perhaps 400 birds.
Cedar Waxwings - less common, but still in small #s at almost every stop
Yellow-rumped Warblers - 1-2 at nearly every stop; Blacklick Woods had 4.
E,Towhee - singles at many locations, but Chatterton had a flock of 6!
Tree Sparrows - singles (my FOS) were at both Heron Pond and Chatterton Greenbelt
Field Sparrow - a single 1 was at Heron Pond
Chipping Sparrows - singles were at Heron Pond and nearby Elk Run Park
Fox Sparrows - singles were at Heron Pond and at Chatterton Greenbelt
White-throated Sparrows - common, with small flocks at many locations
Blackbirds - small flocks of Redwings were at many locations, topped by 25 at Heron Pond and 20 at Blacklick Woods