OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2015

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 2015 14:50:22 -0500
I celebrate with Haans new occurrences of the three species he has
noticed. However, I'm not so sure bluebirds are flourishing; efforts by
enthusiasts are not enough to come even close to recovering their
numbers in the old days. They used to be common everywhere--one observer
here in Columbus once found a nest in the interior of the wheel of a
railroad car--but now seeing them is a sometime thing.
     As for falcons and eagles, our Wildlife people have successfully
encouraged raptors--perhaps because they are fellow hunters--in recent
years with elaborate protections, artificial nest sites, etc., but the
results have not resembled the presence of these birds in the days when
humans didn't dominate their range. Falcon populations have dramatically
increased--well beyond their natural presence long ago--because large
infusions have adopted human structures--bridges, steeples, skyscrapers,
etc.--as a substitute for the cliffs (pretty much absent in Ohio) which
were their natural nesting sites. They were not regarded as Ohio nesters
in the old days. Eagles mostly occupied Lake Erie sites until humans
established reservoirs. Eagles are everywhere now, occupying innumerable
niches unknown in historical times. Eagles and falcons used to be
antagonists, but now they nest within two hundred yards of one another
here in town.
     Human efforts on behalf of these two species have shown some
increases to be sure, and Haans is right to applaud them. Whether the
increases were "natural" is a good question. And where are the efforts
for the many many smaller non-game, non-raptorial species in similar
peril? Loggerhead shrikes? Black terns? Shorebirds? Nighthawks?
Red-headed woodpeckers? Swallows? Warblers?  Native sparrows?
Bill Whan