OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2015

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 2015 20:39:21 -0500
There was an excellent movement of Bonaparte's gulls this morning.  They
moved constantly in small numbers the entire time.  I ended up watching
until 11:00 as there was still a movement.  Even at 11:00 they were still
moving, but numbers were low.  I saw an adult little gull and an immature
Sabine's gull amongst them.  There were Bonaparte's close to shore and some
at the limit of observation.  You could tell they were Bonaparte's, but it
would have been impossible to identify anything different.  Also of note was
almost everyone was an adult.

All of the waterfowl observed were diving ducks. Of note were black and surf
scoters and long-tailed duck.  Also of note were two distant swallows that
ended up being tree swallows.  I rarely get any swallows on the lake here
after the end of September.

Lakeshore Waterbird Survey

Lakeshore Reservation, North Perry, Lake County

November 17, 2015, 0700-1100

Weather- partly cloudy, Winds- NW 10-15

Temperature- 46-48, Barometer- 30.42-30.46

Humidity- 54-52, Dew point- 36-39

Waves- 2-4 feet, Flight direction- west

Canvasback   5

Redhead   16