OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2015

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 2015 08:29:35 -0500
Yeah, I've read about the enormous numbers of redpolls seen recently
moving south of their range, and maybe we'll have the chance to learn
more about these hardy birds of the north, without lacing on snowshoes.
        One thing we're unlikely to learn via observation is how many  species
of redpolls there really may be. With luck, we'll learn about the many
clinal variations in plumage pigment and even overall size among these
birds. In accordance with Gloger's and Bergmann's Rules*,  a few may
seem paler and huskier, and many more noticeably darker and more
delicate--the classic major visual distinctions between the probably
fictitious "different species," the 'common' and the 'hoary' redpolls.
You can look up these old and useful rules of thumb that distinguish
between birds of the lower and higher latitudes. I've read again and
again that recent DNA studies don't demonstrate there are two "species"
of the redpoll (three if you count Europe's "Arctic redpoll").  Maybe
they are be analogous to deer, which are larger in Canada than here, and
much smaller in the Florida Keys--different subspecies, not species.
        Like other folks, I have served on Ohio records committees over the
years, and squinted and pondered and even agonized over numerous photos
and other reports of "hoary redpolls." I recall an article in
"Birding" about them where I could have sworn the photo captions were
misplaced.  I welcome the day--which may soon come--when everyone agrees
they are conspecific with common redpolls.
        Anyway, I hope we'll have more chances to see lots of redpolls of the
north this winter.
Bill Whan

* if you're not familiar with these rules of thumb for animals, google
these for information or better yet try "redpoll species."