OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2015

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 2015 10:31:19 -0500
DB--
        If you saw two Aplomado falcons clinging to a cage here in Ohio, that
might be one thing. But if you saw them in south Texas, it seems likely
they were part of decades-long program to reintroduce the species to
that area, and were hanging around hoping for a free meal--certainly a
sign they continue to rely on human assistance. If  interested in a list
via the existing ABA rules, most counters would insist on birds a lot
wilder than that. Some listers would probably not count any Aplomado
seen near the SE Texas introduction sites, because if the population
were really established they wouldn't still be hacking them. But if we
don't bother with rules such as the ABA's, we can have a real bonanza
down at the zoo...which leads me to wonder, no kidding: could anyone
recommend the best zoo in Ohio, with the most new ticks for the birder
who loves birds and counts everything??
Bill W