OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2015

From:
Julie Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Julie Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 2015 09:41:05 -0500
The OOS will return to the Wilds on January 16, 2016 for our annual trip to
find wintering raptors!

Raptors converge at the Wilds during winter to soar as they stalk Meadow
Voles scurrying through 10,000 hilly acres of reclaimed grassland. Northern
Harriers, Rough-legged and Red-tailed Hawks, Short-eared Owls, along with a
number of other predatory bird species are regular sights.

During previous years, Golden Eagles have over-wintered, a Prairie Falcon
spent two winters, and a Northern Shrike is usually found. Plentiful
Waterfowl, Woodpeckers, and Sparrows also will contribute to your day's
tally. Arctic-like temperatures and steely blasts of frigid air don't deter
either the birds or birders. This fun-filled winter social event has been
very popular with the hearty Ohio birders. In past years we have been awed
by either the rhino families or the giraffes, and will see whichever are
cooperating during the lunch break.

It's an open invitation to all of our members but we need to know how many
mugs of hot cocoa to brew. Please send your RSVP to Jason Larson at:
mailto:[log in to unmask] to reserve your space for the 2016 Winter
Raptor Extravaganza.

We have a limit of 150 and always fill up, so reserve your spot today! In
order to defray the expenses to OOS from the use of The Wilds facilities, we
will be asking for a $10 voluntary contribution per person. There will be a
contribution bucket at the lunchroom. We appreciate your generosity.

- See more at: http://www.ohiobirds.org/site/index.php