OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2015

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 2015 20:03:55 -0500
There is some discussion about the identity of the KI kingbird.  Maybe
others should attempt to see it as well.  I heard it call yesterday and
today as it was hunting insects.  It appears to be the Western call to me.
But Western X Couch's hybrid has been proposed...  The call notes do not
resemble anything I have heard from Tropical or Couch's Kingbird but it has
been awhile since I heard either.   I should have tape the call notes... :>(

Problem is getting to the bird now.  On Thursday, there is only one ferry
to the island and that is at 2:00 PM and leaving at 2:30 PM so no time
unless you plan to stay and there is nothing open to stay in.  No ferry on
Christmas Day.  But 2 AM ferries, one noon, and 2 PM ferries on Saturday
and Sunday, I believe.  Check the Kelleys Island Ferry webpage.

The good news is that the bird spends much of its time around the
"brown/tan" barn on the south side of Woodford Road.  This barn and
property is owned by Gary Finger who also owns the Pump (restaurant) and is
very excited about the bird.  He has seen it and tried to photograph it.
It frequently feeds in the field to the east of Gary's barn (not his
property) but sits in trees behind his barn.  He doesn't mind people
parking on his property.  If you go, you will probably run into him.  He
has lamas, horses, etc. on his property.  This AM the bird was to the west
of the barn, behind it, and on Gary's property.  This PM it was back in the
pasture and then sitting in the trees behind his barn.  Sometimes it
disappears for a long time.  Yesterday, I watched it fly into the cedars on
the east side of the pasture and didn't come out while I was there.

Good Luck!  I would love it to be a Couch's Kingbird...

Tom

--
H. Thomas Bartlett
Tiffin, Ohio