OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2015

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Dec 2015 15:25:49 -0500
About 30 birders observed the bird this morning and most had left the
island on the 12:30 ferry.  The bird was quickly located when we arrive at
about 8:30 AM.  It was still feeding along the east side of the brown barn
when we left at close to 11:00 AM.  It was pretty much in sight at all
times.  It flew across the road into the state park but was quickly found
feeding on red honeysuckle berries.  During the morning it was observed
eating Red Cedar berries, the honeysuckle, and various insects.  At times
it was within 25 feet of observers.  Almost all of the characteristics
discussed concerning the bird were observed.  As before, the bird did not
respond to Western Kingbird calls or songs.  This time it did not respond
to Tropical Kingbird calls but reacted immediately to Couch's Kingbird
calls and once flew directly in on us and sat above the group making call
notes similar to the Couch's call on the recording.  One photograph taken
by Kim Kaufmann clearly shows an emarginated P10 on the left wing which
appears greater than the right P10s emargination.  A photo taken by Gary
Finger on Thursday although blurry, shows a black tail with white outer
tail feathers typical of a Western Kingbird.  Most of the observers felt
the bird to be a Couch's X Western Kingbird much to my disappointment.
However, I have to agree...

If you go to the island, make sure to read my email from yesterday.  Not
much is open and the Pump was open today mainly for birders.  They weren't
planning to open until supper.  If you fly or walk onto the ferry, there is
a contact who will drive people where ever for a charge.  He runs the taxi
service in the summer but is closed down for the winter.  But he said, if
birders need a ride to call him at 419-656-4951 and ask for Joel.  He makes
his living as the taxi service for the island in summer and as a fishing
guide in winter.

More and better photos are always helpful.

Tom

--
H. Thomas Bartlett
Tiffin, Ohio