OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2015

From:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Dec 2015 18:14:35 -0500
Yesterday a group of us participated in the Chandlersville CBC in Muskingum
County which covers The Wilds and some of the AEP land surrounding that
massive area.  While overall numbers and diversity was low, some good birds
were found.  No Golden eagle(s) were found as far as I know, unless a group
found one in the afternoon.  A staff person from The Wilds did indicate
that a Golden eagle was seen a couple weeks ago somewhere on the interior
of The Wilds.   So that's good news but to the best of my knowledge there
was not one found for this count.  Anyhow, a Long-tailed duck was found
from the Jeffrey Point birding station, if looking from this area it was
the pond on the left side, looking out from Jeffrey Point. This pond is
also more easily viewed from Zion Ridge road but be careful as I have
spooked ducks from glassing from this location (in years previous).
Earlier in the day 2 American Bitterns were found in a pond (now also
heavily occupied by beaver) off of a side road, off of Rural Dale /Coal
Hill Roads.  I just checked Google earth - the road that this pond is on is
identified as Dye-Cemetery Road, which makes sense because that cemetery is
at the end of this road.  The pond where the bitterns were located is the
second pond on the left past the orange gate, (if heading east on
Dye-Cemetery road).  The birds were spooked from cattails and long good
looks were had in flight and on the ground.  This was a state bird for me,
and also a new bird for the count.  I was originally looking for a snipe or
a Swamp sparrow in this area when much to my surprise, not one, but two
bittern had been spending time there.   The dark primaries in flight
contrasted well with the paler coverts, and when viewed once they landed,
the birds had the bold striping on front as well.   The Northern shrike was
viewed very briefly on this same road near the pond where the orange gate
is located.   This bird was not re found despite a good search on foot in
that area.   Birders without 4WD or AWD should use caution when birding in
this area - the roads are in bad shape.  If you have a truck with the
necessary clearance - you will not have any problems whatsoever. It was
very muddy. The warm temps and monsoon rains we have been receiving don't
help this matter, but usually on this count we enjoy these roads being
frozen which helps a lot.

Glen Crippen
Burr Oak Lake