OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2015

From:
Dean Sheldon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 2015 15:32:31 -0500
PLEASE ..DON'T MISS IT !!!

At 1030 this morning..with a strong gale wind from the north and the Huron
River at flood stage, we witnessed a gathering of at least 100,000 (+/-)
gulls of various species in the dredged turning basin of the Huron Harbor.
No question..this was, by far, the largest single mass of Bonaparte's Gulls
which we have seen in over 60 winters of birding at that site. Huge
congregations of these birds were in the water, fluttering over the turning
basin (and in the river north and south of that location), on the limestone
piles on the east side dock adjacent to the basin and on the calmer waters
to the west of the Huron Pier itself. Additionally, there was a huge
grouping on the west side of the Pier in the lee of the dredged fill area
farther north toward the lighthouse. Even more birds were resting on the
fill area on the west side of the parking lot serving that area.

What a huge birding bonanza for those still participating in Christmas Bird
Counts! It doesn't get better than this....

Dean Sheldon

Greenwich (Huron County)

419-752-1451