OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2015

From:
Kevin O'Neil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin O'Neil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 2015 17:42:06 -0500
"What is Ohio-birds?
Ohio-birds is an email discussion list (mailing list) for Ohio birders and those interested in Ohio birds. Subscribers to Ohio-birds are able to:
   - share information about bird sightings in Ohio
   - review the most recent bird sighting reports and rare bird alerts from across the state
   - learn (and ask) about places to look for birds in Ohio
   - discuss and debate the occurrence, distribution, identification, and ecology of Ohio birds
If you would prefer to report a bird after it leaves, don't post it on this listserv . . . unless you need to stroke your ego. Post it somewhere in a history book : )Flocks of Robins & Cedar Waxwings are okay . . . But would be nice to hear about some of the "other" things this listserv is made for (per the guidelines)Sigh . . . < : ((
 Regards: Elmer Hochstetler"

I am certainly no expert on the charter for Ohio Birds, but there are posts here weekly on sittings that are not recent.  I don't see anything in the guidelines that states you cannot post that you saw a rare bird last week if there is a concern for the bird's safety.  I think any birding ethics guide would follow that logic.  The link to the full guidelines is below, and there is nothing in them that would suggest that posting after the bird moves on is considered a "stroke of your ego."  Some of the guidelines for other states specifically request you not post rare birds, or wait until after they have moved on, such as Indiana's policy for Whooping Crane sightings in that state. While I see this list as a valuable tool, I would never expect that other members are required to post every sighting, or even every rare sighting in the state.  I am glad for those who do however.

http://www.ohiobirds.org/site/emaillist.php#guidelines