OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2015

Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 2015 22:56:07 +0000
Yesterday’s Butler County SNOWY OWL was seen by many observers today at various locations near and around I-75 and Liberty Way. It was initally spotted perched on a light post at the intersection of Liberty Way and I-75, in heavy fog about 10am, by Cassie Crawford. It then flew west of I-75, where Andrew Cannizzaro picked it up first on the highway barrier behind Cabela’s and then further south, on a telephone pole alongside the freeway, across from Dunedin Ave off Tyler’s Place Rd, the entrance to a housing development called The Lofts. It stayed there for over two hours, allowing for excellent looks as the fog lifted and the sun came out. As always happens when a crowd of birders congregates on a staked out rarity, the locals got curious, and I enjoyed sharing my scope so they could get good looks at “Harry Potter’s owl.”

After I left, the bird went on the move again. Charlotte Carlson witnessed a near disaster as it barely avoided being hit by a car when it flew back east across I-75. There it was seen on top of the Precision Radiotherapy building (7710 Discovery Dr.) across from the entrance to VOA and later on the antenna at the West Chester Hospital. This is the last reported position I have.

It was so nice to see so many birders and non-birders enjoying the owl. Everyone was very respectful, not only of the bird, but also of each other and the community. It was a terrific day, and probably the best looks I have ever had of a Snowy Owl.  Thanks to all the spotters who shared information in real time so others could see this special bird.
Good birding,
Kathi Hutton
Clermont County