OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2015

From:
kent miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
kent miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 2015 01:21:59 +0000
In spite of a very large crowd of watchers, the probable Kelp Gull was not relocated after it left Springfield lake around 7:45 this morning. A couple of good observers seemed to have a dark mantled gull at the far side of the lake in the last threads of light but nothing was confirmed. There were not anywhere near as many of gulls this evening as there were this morning so I still feel prospects for relocating this bird in the 7:15AM range tomorrow are very good and worth lots of folks' continued efforts considering what this bird appears more and more likely to be.On that front for those wondering when to start calling it a definitive Kelp Gull, more elite gull experts have weighed in on everything the pictures reveal so far looking spot on for pure Kelp Gull. This matches the sense that the most experienced birders who saw the bird this morning have. However, a bird this rare for our area and this prone to ID pitfalls requires as high a level of photo documentation as we can muster and the pictures we have thus far all have their shortcomings.
So if you have any shots not posted yet, please post and if you can be at Springfield Lake with a strong camera at 7 or 7:15 tomorrow, please do!Kent