OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2015

From:
kent miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
kent miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 2015 14:54:37 +0000
The Springfield Lake gull was relocated on the water from Lakemore Recreation Park on the south side of the lake in Lakemore, OH. This may be the best place to watch the lake in the mornings and evenings. There was a bit of fog on the lake as I waited for it to get light enough to see the gulls on the water well. I was at a small parking lot that is tucked in between the roller rink and the recreation park not knowing others were at the park. Birds were lifting off already shorty before 7:00 before you could see the birds well. By 7:15 (you can see well earlier when there's no fog) I could sort through the remaining gulls on the water and the gull did not appear to be in view. Shortly before 7:30 the bird appeared on the water not far from the Roller Rink and I got a call from Shari Jackson, & Dick Hoopes, & Cynthia Norris that they were looking at it as well. 5-10 minutes later the bird flew and landed on a lamp post by the park on the south side of the lake and sat there for good photos until a car spooked it and it flew south away from the lake like it did Sunday and like almost all the other gulls do before 8:00 every morning. I am hopeful the photos Cynthia and Dick took will be conclusive for this bird's identity.I wish the bird was more reliable but late afternoons and especially 7:00 in the morning seem to be solid chances for the bird.Good luck,Kent Miller