OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2015

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 2015 20:16:43 +0000
I birded the bluffs this morning and as is so common with birding the Lake Erie shore, today was vastly different from the last two.  The last couple days saw several thousand red-breasted mergansers, but today less than 100.  Gull numbers were up considerably with over 5,000 birds seen, but not a single Bonaparte's.  There was almost one herring to every two ring-billed gulls, the ratio is usually 10:1.  There were a lot of herrings, but relatively few great black-backed gulls.

The harlequin duck and dickcissel found yesterday were not relocated.  The only songbird activity was in the northeast corner.  A catbird was seen and 11 common redpolls.

Lake Erie Bluffs Metropark--Lane Rd., Lake, Ohio, US
Dec 17, 2015 7:10 AM - 9:40 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
33 species

Mallard  3
Hooded Merganser  4
Red-breasted Merganser  86
Common Loon  2
Horned Grebe  4
Bald Eagle  3
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Ring-billed Gull  3480
Herring Gull  1650
Lesser Black-backed Gull  1
Glaucous Gull  1
Great Black-backed Gull  21
Great Horned Owl  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  4
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  3
American Crow  2
Black-capped Chickadee  17
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Eastern Bluebird  7
American Robin  11
Gray Catbird  1     One bird seen along the west end of the trail.  1-2 birds have been present for a couple weeks.
European Starling  18
Cedar Waxwing  5
American Tree Sparrow  16
White-crowned Sparrow  1