OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2015

From:
Joe Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 2015 21:09:04 -0500
Good evening,

John Watts, my wife Jill, and I just returned from another sojourn to
Springfield Lake (Summit Co.) in search of the elusive Kelp Gull. We were
there from 4:06 p.m. until past dark today, 20 Dec 2015, searching, but did
not turn up the famously unpredictable target bird. We did, however, have a
nice duck list that included an immature male wood duck, 4 gadwall, a nice
male American Black Duck x Mallard hybrid, 9 Northern Shovelers, 1 male
Northern Pintail, 1 immature male Greater Scaup, and 6 Hooded Mergansers.
In addition, we did turn up a first-winter Lesser Black-backed Gull and an
aberrant first-winter Herring Gull with some decidedly Thayer's Gull-like
characteristics. Looks like another trip to Akron is in my future.

Good birding,

Joe Hammond
Pickerington, OH