OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2016

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 2016 21:12:22 -0500
Please join us for an inside look at ornithological research right here at
The Ohio State University as we welcome Prof Chris Tonra. Chris will tell us
about his work on research that extends over the entire annual cycle of
birds' lives.

While annual cycles pervade most aspects of vertebrate wildlife ecology, the
vast majority of research has occurred on only one stage of these cycles,
the breeding stage. Furthermore, very few studies examine more than one
stage of the annual cycle, and even fewer have tried to elucidate how
different stages interact with one another. This bias in vertebrate ecology
has limited our understanding of the nature of population dynamics, and
moving beyond it is critical to effectively managing and conserving
populations. My research seeks to fill in these gaps in our understanding of
wildlife populations with a particular focus on birds. I will be presenting
results from research on Neotropical migratory birds, examining how
different stages of the annual cycle interact physiologically within
individuals. I will then discuss how I am continuing to expand my research
program here in Ohio.

Chris Tonra grew up on Long Island in New York and started birding at age 12
when a Red-bellied Woodpecker nested outside his window. After getting a
degree in anthropology at SUNY Albany, he moved to California to pursue
wildlife ecology at Humboldt State, did his MS work with Matt Johnson on
cowbirds in the eastern Sierra Nevada's, then went on to his PhD at the
University of Maine/SMBC with Becky Holberton and Pete Marra working
seasonal interactions -- a topic that he will cover in tonight's talk. After
postdoctoral research at the Smithsonian, Chris came to Ohio State in
August.

Chris Tonra is an avid bike commuter, gardener, and cook, and has begun
dabbling in carpentry.

7:00 - 7:15 pm: Social time, light refreshments, announcements

7:15 - 7:30 pm: Tonight's Conservation Corner features Eddie Boyd, a recent
graduate of Upper Arlington High School, who just completed a through hike
of the Appalachian Trail. His journey took 141 days and covered 2,189 miles.
Come and hear about his incredible journey and the flora and fauna he saw
along this storied footpath.

7:30 - 9:00 pm: Main program, door prizes and be sure to try your skill at
our monthly bird quiz table thanks to Nadya Bennett, and a loan of study
skins from the bio-diversity museum at The Ohio State University.

Columbus Audubon programs are free and open to the public. Programs are held
at the Grange Insurance Audubon Center 505 West Whittier Street in the
Scioto-Audubon Metro Park on the Whittier Peninsula.