OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2016

From:
Allen Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2016 09:05:52 -0500
Robert,

Coming from a Michigan perspective here.

As you may know, Black-capped Chickadees undergo occasional "irruptions",
once every 2-4 years. They seem to be moving from late October to
mid-November when it happens (not this year). When I've been lucky enough
to capture and band some of these birds during an irruption (in Ontario),
they've been almost entirely hatch-year birds. Their presence farther south
in Ohio at these times should not be surprising, and I remember a few years
ago that Brainard Palmer-Ball documented (banded, measured, photographed?)
some Black-capped Chickadees in northern Kentucky. Like other irruptive
species, the magnitude of their movements seems to vary quite a bit.

Carolina Chickadee, on the other hand, does not seem to move northward very
often or in any numbers. Maybe someone can refute that, but Michigan has
but a single record of Carolina Chickadee, a specimen from 1899 taken in
Wayne County in the southeastern part of the state. As they hybrid zone
moves north, maybe we can expect another Carolina Chickadee in Michigan
soon. As I emailed Bill Whan privately, I used to have to go down to Dayton
to see a Carolina Chickadee in the 1970s, but now only have to go as far as
Findlay (where there may be some hybrids too).

Allen T. Chartier
Inkster, Michigan
Email: [log in to unmask]
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mihummingbirdguy/collections/