OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2016

From:
marys1000 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
marys1000 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 2016 08:30:51 -0500
I was at Huffman Prairie around 1430 and saw  Pileated Woodpecker and a
Brown Creeper.
About a month ago I saw two Pileated's hanging out together twice in the
same week.
Didn't stay to see whether the SEO's were still around.

Also some behavior I've seen before but yesterdays was the biggest and
most diverse bunch.
On a pretty specific stretch of the road, that doesn't look any different
that any other stretch of the road to me, I saw two Red Headed's, a
bunch of Chickadees, a Tufted Titmouse or or two and
a bunch of Downies (there seem to be a lot more than normal lately) and
a Robin hanging around down on the road pecking.
Not the sides of the road, the road.
I guess they are getting gravel? (which is everywhere including the
sides).   Now that stretch of road has some wild cherry that is mostly
gone I think.
Why is the gravel from this stretch of road so much better than the
gravel from the rest of the road?  Cover nearby doesn't look
so extra special.  Can't figure it out.
Be careful driving and go slow.  I saw a Red Headed carcass out there a
couple of months ago.

Marie, Fairborn