OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2016

From:
Dan Kramer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Kramer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 2016 13:24:15 -0500
Depredation permits allowing the taking (i.e. killing) of gulls, like those used at airports as well as landfills, are not intended to kill every bird.  Their purpose is to deter the vast majority of birds from returning by frightening them with the disturbance of gunshots as well as the sight and sounds of dead and/or dying birds.  So, these permits are often capped at some reasonable number perhaps allowing the taking of 100 or so over a given period of time.  The permit specifies the species allowed to be killed and may also allow for incidental take of similar (but certainly not endangered) species.  The permit may specify some percentage of the total take that is acceptable for these incidental species.  And, the recipient of the permit is required to report both the numbers and species of birds killed.  Those persons doing the actual shooting bear the responsibility of being capable of properly identifying birds.  At airports these permits are most often issued to biologists from the USDA Wildlife Services who perform the actual control work.

Copies of these permits can be obtained from the US Fish & Wildlife Service, Midwest Region 3, 5600 American Blvd. West, Suite 990, Bloomington, MN 55437-1458.  For background on a federal bird depredation permit see http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-13.pdf

Dan Kramer
Bolivar, OH