OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2016

From:
eric elvert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
eric elvert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 2016 13:40:42 -0500
Wow that's crazy. In my short number of years looking at dump gulls. I
wouldn't think this practice actually works. Take last winter for instance
and the beginning of this winter the landfill in Dayton has so many gulls
taking a hundred or so wouldn't do anything. The gulls keep coming in all
winter and stay as it freezes up north. I hear what I believe to be cannons
of some sort go off from time to time but it doesn't drive the birds off
they stay exactly where they were. And hell its a dump so seeing a few dead
birds and whatever other surprises is probably normal for the everyday dump
gull. I'm just saying killing a 100 birds to try to scare off thousands
just doesn't seem the way to go on this one.
Bird On!!!

Eric Elvert
Dayton, Oh