OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2016

From:
"Simpson, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Simpson, Bruce
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 2016 16:35:57 -0500
Rocky Fork
7180 Walnut St
Westerville Ohio
          43081

        Last Sunday evening (Feb 21st), I had a Full Moon hike at Rocky
Fork. We began walking the Beech Woodland trail counterclockwise. We
started near the shelter.As we came to meadow the Full Moon lighted up the
large meadow. This is where Short-eared Owls have been seen hovering over
the meadow.. We did not see any. As we keep walking we come into an old
Orchard. I heard a Short-eared Owl "Barking" in the distance. Suddenly 2
Woodcocks fly over our heads. There are Woodcocks all along the trail (at
least 10) Some are along the trail,throwing their heads back and
"peenting', others are doing their "aggressive cackles" while others are
doing their aerial flights and we can hear their 'flight twitters'. In the
distance I can hear a Screech Owl doing its "monotonic trill". In addition
to all this we hear 3 coyotes "Howling" A great evening at Rocky Fork  a
Columbus Metro Park

      Blendon Woods Metro Park
          Nature Center
             614-895-6222

               Bruce Simpson-Naturalist at Blendon Woods Metro Park in
Columbus