OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2016

From:
Jeff Lemons <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 2016 01:10:47 +0000
I made another try today for the previous Kelp Gull at Springfield Lake.  There were at least 8-9 black-backed gulls to sort through.

I photographed one Great-blacked Gull with large white spots on end of primaries.  There was one obvious Lesser with a dark, smudgy eye and a little streaking on the head.

There were at least six black-backed gulls with clean white heads and clean looking eyes that were similar in size to the Herring Gulls.  These must have been clean looking Lessers?

Any suggestions for picking out the Kelp Gull on the water?

There were several thousand gulls total.

Going to try again at sunrise.

Jeff Lemons
Charlotte, NC