OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2016

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 2016 14:24:26 -0500
I checked a variety of parks around this NW Columbus suburb yesterday & today, and found a very limited movement of winter residents as the weather warms from Thursday's snowfall. Yesterday I visited several isolated parks (Heather Glen, Trabue, Avery, and Darree Fields), while today I focused on the Dublin Scioto River gorge and Glacier Ridge MetroPark.  Most water was open, but checks at O'Shaughnessy Dam, the Dublin Rd quarry, and Lake Corazon found no diving ducks other than mergansers.  Landbirds were highlighted by lots of Bluebirds, and a few other winter residents.  Notables included:

Mergansers - Commons were at both O'Shaughnessy Dam (5) and Twin Lakes (8).  The latter site also had a flock of 22 Hooded Mergansers

Kildeer - single birds were calling at many different locations

Pileated Woodpecker - 1 was actively feeding in the ravine forest at Twin Lakes today.

Brown Creeper - still very scarce, with the only one being at Frink Park below 'Shaughnessy Dam.

Golden-cr.Kinglets - 2-3 were in the riparian forest below O'Shaughenssy Dam

E.Bluebirds - small #s at virtually every stop, with many males singing.  Avery Park had 7.

Tree Sparrows - small #s, with most big flocks gone.  Glacier Ridge had 4 to top the list.

Rusty Blackbird - of the two sites with oak vernal pools - Glacier Ridge and Heather Glen - only Heather Glen had a single Rusty doing what they do - poking around the edge of a vernal pool.