OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2016

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 2016 15:08:02 -0500
I hiked & biked several areas around these two MetroParks south of Columbus this morning, and found fair birding.  At 3-Creeks, I biked around the Confluence area and the Borrow Pits area, then biked over between Cruiser Pond and Winchester Lake along the Blacklick Creek Greenway.  Lastly, I stopped at Pickerington Ponds and nearby Portman Park.  Most birds were near the creeks in these places.  At Pick Ponds, Ellis Pond, Mallard Marsh, and Teal Pond were partly open, but only the last one had many waterfowl.  Notables included:

Snow Geese - 2 were with a flock of 300 Canadas south of Wright Rd west of Bowen.  Another large flock of Canadas (350) near Cruiser Pond had nothing unusual.

Dabblers - Teal Pond and Mallard Marsh at Pick Ponds had mostly Mallards, but also had smaller numbers of Black Ducks, Green-winged Teal, Gadwall, and Wigeon.

Raptors - Red-tailed hawks were at many locations.  Cooper's were much scarcer, with only 1 seen, at Portman

Woodpeckers - nothing but the expected 4, but they were very active at many places, with lots of calling & drumming

Brown Creepers - scarce, with only singles at 2 spots in 3-Creeks

Robins - small #s, with 2-5 at many locations but no big flocks

Horned Larks - flyovers at 4 different locations, all headed north, so the first 'migrants' appear to be running.

Fox Sparrow - the red form bird at 3-Creeks has moved from near the Confluence parking area east to where the bikepath passes beneath the power lines (a reliable spot for them in years past).

White-crowned Sparrows - 2-3 were still hanging around the feeder at the Wood Duck picnic area in Pick Ponds