OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2016

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 2016 03:33:06 +0000
 I thought I would mention some of my sightings today previously reported by others earlier in the week and today.  I took Rte 87 east and went south on Townline Rd and turned east on Denman-Mahan Rd NE and on the north side of road found the pond to the north and the group with Chris Pierce around 12:10pm  After seeing 35 Greater White-fronted Geese and four Snow Geese and many Canda Geese and Rough-legged Hawk I went with Paul Kiplinger and Susan Prior north on Hoagland Blackstrub Rd and stopped at the pulloff on the east side of the road looking to the reservoir around 1:25pm.  There were six swans which only a few looked like Tundra. Paul sighted a large flock of Snow Geese very far east near the island.  They looked like about 60 of them.  They disappeared then reappeared but we did not see them land.  We then went to the east end of Denman-Mahan Rd that goes east to the water at the boat launch.  The dirt road with many deep holes as we were told it might be good there but we did not see anything interesting.  We went on a long wild goose chase much further down near the campground at Mosquito Park but only found some Redheads, Coots, Scaup, Bufflehead and some too far to see but we did run into someone who lives around there who had just seen the Snow Geese in the water at the boat launch area.  We returned to Hoagland Blackstrub Rd north of Denman-Mahan Rd and split up.  I then saw at least 17 Greater White-fronted Geese near the island.  Also, there were five Bald Eagles that were flying like in a kettle with only one adult.   The Greater White-fronted Geese started swimming south so I decided to go back to the Denman-Mahan Rd going down to the boat launch on the reservoir (just east off of Hoagland Blackstrub Rd.)  I did not see the Greater White-front Geese I was expecting but approx 120 Snow Geese very far out in a tight bunched up line SSE at 4pm.  At 4:06pm they lifted up and flew north then west right after a Bald Eagle flew by.  I decided to return to the pond where I started on Denman-Mahan Rd (which is west of Hoagland Blackstrub Rd) and there I found 17 Greater White-fronted Geese again and the four Snow Geese that must of been there all day but those four were now feeding in the field just north of the pond around 4:25pm.  After a little while a huge group of Snow Geese seemed to fly in from the northeast or east over the field and pond going WSW around 4:29pm and after a couple minutes seemed to reposition themselves.  They looked like they might be landing just west of where I was.  The four Snow Geese then flew west like they were joining the others.  Many Canada Geese were flying in from the east before I left.  I was not able to see the Snow Geese in the field when I left going west down the road to get to Townline Rd to get back to Rt 87 to get back to Cleveland but I am sure they were there.  When I got home I counted the Snow Goose pictures at the last location and I counted 128.  When I was at the boat launch earlier and saw the  Snow Geese far away I estimated about 120 at the time.
Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, https://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a