OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2016

From:
kent miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
kent miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 2016 02:51:59 +0000
Larry et al,Finding the Kelp Gull right now is a high risk proposition, especially if coming from a long distance. Springfield Lake has been frozen for a number of days and I believe will be unproductive until it thaws which may well happen sometime this weekend but hard to say exactly when.Yes and no, mostly yes as far as these ball fields being a new roost. Huge numbers of gulls roosted here early mornings and late evenings from 2/26 to about 3/12 last year and have not been known to be back in the area until this morning. The gulls left very early this morning as they do Springfield Lake and then returned this evening so there is some suggestion that this area may in some ways be replacing Springfield Lake as the evening roost area while Springfield is frozen.
Last year when this area was being used as the roost area the birds hung around a good bit later into the morning than they were doing this year at Springfield Lake but we just don't have enough of a history with them this year yet to give much good information either about the hours they'll keep here or how findable/reliable the Kelp will be here.
Last year, the ball fields were sort of ground zero as the most reliable, visible spot to view the roosting gulls but the huge flock was actually spread out over a large number of blocks in Canton utilizing many industrial roofs and yards maybe in a square mile or so, so finding one bird may be a challenge. On the other hand we may find the favored spot of the Kelp and may be able to find it consistently. We just don't know yet. Tonight it was just seen flying low over the ball fields and crossing over Interstate 77 and dropping out of sight to some unknown roof likely.If I lived in NJ and had some flex in my schedule, I think I'd wait and see if we either get a fix on it's favored spot in Canton or until Springfield Lake thaws and hopefully the Kelp gets regular there again as it was starting to do before it froze over.
If I lived anywhere close I would be in Canton at first light hoping to sort through the thousands of large gulls in the area for the Kelp and other gems that are surely around.
Hope that's helpful,Kent Miller