OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2016

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2016 12:02:26 -0500
​Hi Jeff, Bill and All,

I have to speak up in defense of the Geauga Parks.  They still have a great
staff of naturalists and do great conservation work.  They also had a huge
budget surplus that resulted in the park board looking for ways to spend,
which was some of the motivation to move toward ​recreation.  Judge Grendel
ordered a suspension of collection of the levy so the surplus would be
spent down.

Lake County Metroparks provide a model for what happens when a park
district has lots of cash to spend.  Since the passage of the additional
levy (a recount was required to pass this) they have gone on a building and
paving binge.  New asphalt going down all over the system and lots of
crushed limestone, which alters soil chemistry, on trails.  Lake County is
a district that does not do free public nature programs and is very
recreation oriented. The Naturalist staff are great and very knowledgeable,
but if they are doing a public program have to justify it with a fee.
There are plenty of boater safety programs and the like as well.

Keep in mind that Lake County Parks cleared several acres of old growth
forest on Gildersleeve Mountain to put in a playground no one uses.  You
gotta spend or you end up with a surplus like Geauga.

If you look at the Cleveland Metroparks there is a growing controversy over
the salary of the director who has received raises of over 50% and now
makes well over $200,000 per year. More than the director of the US
National Park Service.

If you are concerned about your county park system the best recourse you
have is to get a probate judge elected who reflects the ethos you feel the
parks should follow.  In Geauga County Grendel ran unopposed during the
last election cycle.

Haans
Kirtland