OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2016

From:
Jay Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2016 17:45:02 -0400
Like Kathi, I failed in trying to find Red-headed Woodpeckers in Clermont
County or anywhere near Cincinnati.  However, I was successful at Killdeer
Plains at Pond 33 northeast of and close to the Up-ground Reservoir, where
I have been successful in the past.  I had a very accommodating male there
on Feb 8.
Jay

Date: Wed Mar 23 2016 15:04 pm
From: lmsours AT ameritech.net - See more at:
http://birding.aba.org/mobiledigest/OH#1089207

There are a decent number of them throughout Killdeer Plains WA.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 23, 2016, at 3:51 PM, Kathi Hutton wrote:
>
> So, my fellow SW Ohio birders and I have been lamenting the lack of
Red-headed Woodpeckers this year. I have been looking for them at all my
usual spots in Clermont County without success. Jay Lehman postulated that
the decrease in the red and white oak acorn crop (26 and 23%, respectively)
this year as compared to last year has caused this nomadic species to fly
the proverbial coop in search of better prospects.

> So, if not here, where? Is anybody seeing RHWO in Ohio? At normal
numbers? Less than normal? In excess of normal? Who has my birds?

> Kathi Hutton
> Clermont County
>
> Sent from iVan II, my iPhone - See more at:
http://birding.aba.org/mobiledigest/OH#1089207

Jay G. Lehman
Cincinnati, OH
Sent from Droid Turbo