OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2016

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 2016 13:20:53 -0500
I stopped at several parks along both Blacklick Creek and Big Wlanut Creek between these 2 southeast Columbus suburbs.  Despite stops at several ponds & lakes, ducks were scant, and divers were non-existent; I guess they're already gone. Landbirds showed lots of winter residents massing, but no temperate migrants yet. Notables included:

N.Shovelers - at least 6 were at Cruiser Pond in Groveport, a common migrant stop for them
Hooded Mergansers - small flocks were at several different sites
Vultures - Turkey Vultures were widespread, but there were also 2 Black Vultures at Big Walnut Park
Red-tailed Hawks - lots of pair activity in many locations
Pileated Woodpecker - 1 was practice-drumming on a snag in Big Walnut Park
Brown Creeper - still scarce, with the only 1 being in the riparian strip of the Chatterton Greenbelt
Am.Robins - lots of flocks in many locations

Yellow-rumped warblers - only one site - the creek multiuse loop at Blacklick MetroPark - but it held a flock of 22

Sparrows - lingering Tree Sparrows were at several spots, and flocks of White=-throated Sparrows were widespread.  The creek multiuse loop at Blacklick also had 3 Towhees and 1 White-crowned Sparrow

Blackbirds - Red-winged Blackbirds and Grackles were common & widespread
Finches - nothing but the expected House Finches & Goldfinches