OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2016

From:
Jay Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Mar 2016 09:49:33 -0400
Joyous Easter (03/27/16) greetings from Garfield Commons shopping plaza at
the corner of Turney and Rockside Roads in Garfield Heights.  I saw and
heard at least 3 maybe four Fish Crows this morning between about 7:15 and
8:50 am.  I arrived just before sunrise (at 7:17 am) and found two Fish
Crows by 7:50 am.  Please note that there are also American Crows at ths
location and identification of Fish Crow may not be safely done only by
sight..  I also saw at least 4 American Crows at this location identified
by their "honest to goodness" caws.  The Fish Crows were identified by
their very nasal "ca" calls.  The possible fourth Fish Crow was with three
very vocal Fish Crows but remained silent but at close range  appeared to
have the same sized bill and same body size and wing structure.  I studied
the shape and structure of the wing tips of the American and Fish Crows in
flight.  At close range, I was able to see the more rounded shape of the
slightly spread primaries of the American Crows in flight and the more
pointed shape of the slightly spread primaries of the Fish Crows in
flight.  This is due to the differing lengths of primaries 5 and 9 in these
two species.  A better way to see these differences is with a good photo of
the wings in flight of these two species.  For a discussion, go to
www.birds.Cornell.edu/how do you tell a Fish Crow from an American Crow.
To find these Fish Crows at Garfield Commons, get there early in the day.
I was there last night from about 5:00 to 6:30 pm but found no crows at
all!  I will post a photo later.  Joyous Easter!

Jay G. Lehman
Cincinnati, OH
Sent from Droid Turbo