OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2016

From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Mar 2016 17:04:07 -0400
Hi all,

Beth and I decided to try for the Great Cormorant this afternoon. We did get some relatively good looks at a little before 3 PM. The bird was sitting atop the west breakwall, clearly visible and identifiable with a scope from the old Coast Guard station. At that time it was sitting by itself, with a few Double-crested Cormorants below. The white throat and white “pocket” or “hip patch” were easy to make out, as were the relatively huskier head and neck.

At about 3:30, doing a final scan from the Wendy Park parking area, the bird was gone.

We also had many Red-breasted Mergansers, perhaps as many as 1000s, and a large number of Bonaparte’s Gulls—a couple of hundred—with their hoods coming in. Much smaller numbers of Ring-billed Gulls (we later saw more being fed bread at the 55th Street marina) and just a few Herring. I also had two male Common Merganser fly-overs, a couple of Mallards, and a couple of American Coots. We heard a Belted Kingfisher, and had a few Song Sparrows and a bunch of American Robins, and a few Canada Goose.

The rest of the stops along the lake, going east as far as the turning basin next to Dike 14, produced remarkably little, and nothing new.

Also, yesterday at Shaker Lakes, among the expected Canada Goose, mallards (very few) and Wood Duck (one pair), we had a pair of Pied-billed Grebes and a Belted Kingfisher.

Best wishes,

Steve Cagan
Cleveland Heights
Cuyahoga County