OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2016

From:
Todd Eiben <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Todd Eiben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2016 10:12:32 -0400
Karen,  I was on it late last fall looking for dragonflies before it was finished.  I enter it from the N. Cleveland Massillon road path that goes under the road.  You go up the path to the top of the sledding hill and head south down that trail. At the bottom of the hill the area is on the right.   If you look at the Google image of the area, you can see a truck parked at the beginning of it and lumber sitting by it.  It is to the right of the pond that is on private property.  You can somewhat see the trail through the trees on Google images.

Also,  when you are at the top of the sledding hill before you head down the trail to the south, you can see an area cut through the trees.  It is cut all the way through to the big open "birding" fields where usually bobolinks hang out.   You can see this on Google images, too.  If you go down this hill (from the birding fields, too), you will hit a very wet and boggy area, that is also part of the bog.  You can tell from the plants that are there.   It is a good area for late summer/fall Black-Tipped Darner dragonflies which are usually very localized and often times hard to find (if you happen to be interested them, too).   They like this type of area.

Hope this helps, Todd