OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2016

Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2016 04:52:29 +0000
*your, not you're

    On Thursday, March 10, 2016 11:51 PM, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 I'm not trying to get into an argument, Bill, but you're original post may not mention the ABA, but it does emphasize listing - reread it.

    On Thursday, March 10, 2016 5:15 PM, Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 Carlton--
    I never mentioned the ABA in my initial post; maybe I should have, but
the point was that Greenland has been ignored by the official map of
North American ornithology in certain ways, and that the AOU's change of
opinion about it will present some interesting possibilities. It was
silly to have treated this landform for so many years as if it were part
of Europe. The new AOU Checklist--which ABA has always followed in
drawing its outlines, by the way--should be out this May. I'll bet the
folks at the ABA will follow suit, and are already preparing the new ABA
borders.
    Your suggestion that the ABA--which promotes birding worldwide after
all--is all-important for listing purposes is a trifle nationalistic,
and your assumption that interests in birds (even by the ABA)
preeminently amount to accumulating species on personal lists--may not
be as universal as you think...
--BIll W

> You're right, Bill, I had no thought whatsoever to exile Canadians.
> Look, the AOU area includes many areas that are not part of the ABA
> area.  Just because Greenland may be added to the AOU area is
> absolutely no reason to think it would be included in the ABA area.
>> From the AOU website -
> The geographic area covered includes: North and Middle America from
> the North Pole to the boundary of Panama and Colombia, including the
> adjacent islands under the jurisdiction of the included nations; the
> Hawaiian Islands; Clipperton Island; Bermuda; The West Indies,
> including the Bahama Islands, the Greater Antilles, Leeward and
> Windward Islands in the Lesser Antilles (ending with Grenada); and
> Swan, Providencia, and San Andrés Islands in the Gulf of Mexico. -
> See more at:
> http://www.americanornithology.org/content/aou-checklist-north-and-middle-american-birds-7th-edition-and-supplements#sthash.BabIq0EI.dpufThe
> geographic area covered includes: North and Middle America from the
> North Pole to the boundary of Panama and Colombia, including the
> adjacent islands under the jurisdiction of the included nations; the
> Hawaiian Islands; Clipperton Island; Bermuda; The West Indies,
> including the Bahama Islands, the Greater Antilles, Leeward and
> Windward Islands in the Lesser Antilles (ending with Grenada); and
> Swan, Providencia, and San Andrés Islands in the Gulf of Mexico. -
> See more at:
> http://www.americanornithology.org/content/aou-checklist-north-and-middle-american-birds-7th-edition-and-supplements#sthash.BabIq0EI.dpufAOU
> Checklist of North and Middle American Birds (7th Edition and
> Supplements) | American Ornithology The geographic area
> coveredincludes: North and Middle America from the North Pole to the
> boundary ofPanama and Colombia, including the adjacent islands under
> the jurisdiction ofthe included nations; the Hawaiian Islands;
> Clipperton Island; Bermuda; The WestIndies, including the Bahama
> Islands, the Greater Antilles, Leeward andWindward Islands in the
> Lesser Antilles (ending with Grenada); and Swan,Providencia, and San
> Andrés Islands in the Gulf of Mexico.The geographic area covered
> includes: North and Middle America from the North Pole to the
> boundary of Panama and Colombia, including the adjacent islands under
> the jurisdiction of the included nations; the Hawaiian Islands;
> Clipperton Island; Bermuda; The West Indies, including the Bahama
> Islands, the Greater Antilles, Leeward and Windward Islands in the
> Lesser Antilles (ending with Grenada); and Swan, Providencia, and San
> Andrés Islands in the Gulf of Mexico. - See more at:
> http://www.americanornithology.org/content/aou-checklist-north-and-middle-american-birds-7th-edition-and-supplements#sthash.BabIq0EI.dpuf