OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2016

From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2016 13:13:59 -0400
I have read and posted on this list since back in the 90s when I lived in
Columbus and used a Compuserve account. Call me a Luddite, or worse. I can
take it.

I do long for the days when intelligent discussions of conservation,
habitats, and strange behaviors were more prevalent on this list than they
are at present. For a time, such discussion almost shifted to the Forum
discussions on the OOS website, but the effort at establishing that
resource, however well-meaning, was mostly futile, and it is little-known
or used. (Is it still there?) This list largely has lapsed into a tool for
listers who pursue their sport with a passion. This is OK for those who are
into it, and I appreciate that rarities to the state are usually posted
here in a timely manner. I will admit that I have chased a few birds based
on posts here, some successfully, some not. The judicious use of Ohiobirds
partly has been responsible for my NA Life and Ohio lists growing to their
modest, unimpressive numbers.

I will continue to watch birds and listen to them, which gives me great
joy. I will report here when I feel I have something worth sharing. The
positive feedback I get from such observations indicates that there is an
audience for it, and I appreciate your comments.

Bob Evans
Geologist, Luddite, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County