OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2016

From:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2016 15:03:22 -0400
This afternoon I saw a red-tailed hawk hovering over the landfill behind the GetGo at the Transportation Boulevard exit on I-480. The hawk was maybe 30 or 40 feet above the tall grass stationary in the air. It would only make minor adjustments to its wings to stay in the same spot. It would tuck its wings and immediately drop down to the ground trying to catch some little critter.

Once time when it was on the ground, an American kestrel came over the top of the landfill to hunt in the same area. The hawk was not in a sharing mood. It just raised its wings, caught the wind and chased the smaller predator away. The winds are quite strong. It is really amazing to watch these birds maneuver so easily in it.