OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2016

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2016 10:03:52 -0400
Thanks to all for the thoughtful remarks. The modest number of
respondents seemed to agree that the topics and 'flavor' of this list
have changed, and I believe it is fair to say most say they don't value
it as much. I have to say I hardly ever see any public put-downs on this
list, though, and the folks who complained about them aren't seeing them
here, but on some back channel. Those who harass others seldom do it in
the light of day.
        If there is a theme to the salient remarks, I'd say it was a feeling
that fewer people are talking less often about the sorts of things that
make birds interesting, and more just about listing: "drive to Point A
before 7 am, look ENE on the far edge of the pond, take your photo,
drive home and post results." Helpful advice I suppose, but that's all
it is, and these data tend to crowd out more
meaningful discourse these days
        I'm sure observers are still learning and thinking about bird
populations, the effects of weather and climate change, molt timing,
habitat and food preferences, etc., and some pay attention to changes in
bird populations and the reasons for them, not to mention the
interactions of birds and other creatures in their environments. Some
have light to shed on how well we humans are accommodating birds in
their struggle for existence, and how we might do better. But we don't
hear about as much of this on the list these days. Why not?
        We can always say we're dutifully following instructions sent down from
Mount Cornell, counting (e-)birds and their dates and locations--and of
course taking the obligatory but seldom informational photos--but we
shouldn't rely on them to do all the thinking, and our experiences
shouldn't end up just in the files. Otherwise it's just a bore.
Bill Whan
Columbus