OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2016

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2016 10:58:18 -0400
Hi,

I heard Dark-eyed Juncos singing in two locations this morning:  In my yard
on Gildersleeve Mountain, and along the valley slope of the main branch of
the Chagrin River in Gates Mills.  Both were singing the Nashville Warbler
like song Lisa Rainsong and I documented last year.  Both locations are on
the front of the Allegheny Plateau, which has a different topography and
ecology than the more inland parts of their small breeding range here in
Ohio.  This odd song seems to be confined to this edge area and does not
extend to more inland areas.  Additionally I speculate it is used by a year
round resident population as migrant nesters use the more common song.
There are only bits of banding evidence for a year round population and
this is certainly an area that needs more study.

Haans