OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2016

From:
Todd Eiben <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Todd Eiben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2016 15:31:09 -0400
Bill,  I am certainly a newbie to birding.  I just started in September of 2015 when I purchased a "pocket" camera capable of 30X zoom and 60X zoom if you cut down the size of the picture you are taking.  If I get lucky with enough light around, I can get a pretty darn good picture at 120X zoom.

I am new to the forum/listing for sure.  I found the state record Great Cormorant.  I posted on March 4th looking for help in adding the bird to ebird to Jen and the rest of the forum.

I got exactly 1 private response!  You can draw your own conclusions, Bill, but I think people saying newbies get turned off is real.  I would think many would respond and perhaps offer congratulations.  Nope!  I am new and nobody knows me!  I can only think what people are saying privately about a newbie finding a state record!

The exact opposite has happened in the field.  I have met so many wonderful birders over the last several week looking at the Cormorant and so many congratulated me.  I am sure many did not have the slightest idea who I was , but they were a joy to be around. I actually like it that way as I like to stay in the shadows...so to speak.

I have had trepidation about trying to bird over the years.  I am color blind to a number of colors.  Brown and green look the same to me.  Green and gray look the same to me  Blue and purple look the same to me.  Pink and light green look the same to me.  Red and brown often times look the same to me.  Despite all of this,  I decided to give to give birding a try and I have enjoyed it so far.

Having said this, I looked at a number of posts from 2001/2002.   I came across Kevin Metcalf.  Kevin got me involved with nature back in 2001 at North Chagrin Reservation.  He taught me about butterflies first and then got me started on dragonflies before he moved to one of the Carolinas to run a number of nature areas.  I have been actively doing butterfly transects for the Ohio Leps since then and do at least a dozen NABA butterfly counts every Summer.  I have also gotten better and better at dragonflies and damselfies, especially since I got active in photographing them and can identify nearly all I see in the field in Ohio. (Some damselflies, especially females) are very tough ID's)

Yes, I am a newbie to birding, but I have been around nature for a long time.  I can understand why new people would be turned off to the forum.  I am not being critical of anyone here.  I am just saying that many are probably turning off newbies without even realizing it.  The lack of encouragement and help for newbies has to turn them off because I wish there was more and I have been around nature quite awhile.

  I watch people post what they have seen here and I am blown away that they take the time to let us know what they are seeing.  This is great!  I find it difficult to do this on a regular basis and I really admire folks who do this!  It helps others to know what is heading their way.  Perhaps folks may want to head to the poster's areas to see what they saw!  People are proud and excited to post what they see!  No matter how "common" you may think it is,  I think we need to show more enthusiasm for others who post here....ESPECIALLY public support!  What may be common in one area is not always so common in another area.  People are proud to post here.  Let's share their enthusiasm!

This is just my 2 cents from a newbie birder, but not a newbie to nature.