OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2016

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2016 16:15:32 -0400
Hi,

Gildersleeve Mountain in Kirtland, has always seemed to be a place where
Barred Owls are at their maximum population density.  Given the number of
individuals heard and seen I would estimate 20 or more individuals in an
area of roughly 450 acres or mature Beech Maple, Hemlock Hardwood, and
mixed Oak forests.  This time of year they are nesting and at peak vocal
activity. The birds are active both day and night. When one starts calling
there may be responses from up to 8 other individuals.

Barred Owls are cavity nesters and the mature Beech Maple forests on
Gildersleeve Mountain offer ample suitable nest locations.

A few years ago a Great Horned Owl pair moved into a Red-tailed Hawk nest
on the SE slope.  They did okay that year but the next year a furious
battle could be heard as the Barred Owls ganged up and harassed the Great
Horned Owls relentlessly every night.  The larger owls have not returned.

Another interesting observation is that when a Barred Owl catches prey that
is too big to eat on their own, they seem to call in the others in the area
to share the kill.  I have heard this more than seen it. Small prey like a
mouse or snake will not result in other owls being called in.  However
larger prey like a rabbit or squirrel will.  I will sometimes find the
scattered remains of the carcass after such a group feast.

Haans