From:
Stefan Gleissberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stefan Gleissberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2016 18:19:03 -0400
This morning I scouted for my field trip for the Birds in the Hills festival on Sunday (fully booked). I birded mostly around the intersection of New Floodwood Rd and Utah Ridge Rd between Nelsonville and Chauncey in the Wayne National Forest. In under three hours, I scored 34 species.

I had eight warblers, seeing Cerulean, Black-throated Green, Yellow-rumped (Myrtle) in breeding plumage, Hooded and Blue-winged. And a singing Yellow-breasted Chat! Acoustically I could identify Ovenbird (several) and Prairie Warbler. I remained a little unsure about hearing a Worm-eating Warbler and Black-and-white Warbler, so I ended up not scoring them.

A Summer Tanager was singing from a treetop, and I heard my FOY Wood Thrush. A pair of Blue-grey Gnatcatchers were building a nest.

Checklist at:

This is the time to get your warblers! They are here (most of them) and are not concealed yet much by tree leaves.

Happy Spring Birding!

Stefan
==
Dr. Stefan Gleissberg