From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2016 17:44:41 -0400
I stopped at several locations in this NE Columbus suburb this afternoon,looking for migrants, with some success.  I started at Boyer Preserve, then moved to Inniswood MetroPark, before finishing at Hoover dam.  Among a healthy list of 52 species, notables included:

Dabbling ducks - a N.Shoveler pair & Blue-winged Teals were at the spillway at Hoover dam
Diving ducks - small flocks of Lesser Scaup and Red-br.Mergansers were on the reservoir above the dam
Other waterbirds - cormorants and Coots were also on the reservoir above the dam
Raptors - Inniswood had a Broad-winged Hawk, while Boyer had a Red-shouldered Hawk, and the dam a Red-tail
Gulls - along with the expected Ring-bills, there were also 3 breeding-plumaged Herring Gulls at the dam
woodpeckers - no sapsuckers, but there was a Pileated in the woods below Hoover dam
Swallows - the dam has attracted 20+ Cliff Swallows, the vanguard of a sizeable nesting colony there
Gnatcatchers - spotty distribution, with lots (10+) in the woods of Inniswood, far fewer elsewhere
Kinglets - only Ruby-crowns, but they were at every stop
Thrushes - nothing but Robins and Bluebirds
Mimids- a Brown Thrasher was singing at Boyer Preserve
Warblers - Yellow-rumped were at all 3 sites, but not common.  Boyer had Black-thr.Green and my FOS Yellow, while Yellow-throated was at Inniswood
Sparrows - small flocks of White-throateds at each stop, often in great plumage
Blackbirds - lots of Redwings and Cowbirds, at all 3 sites.  the only Grackles were at the dam.