From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2016 11:36:26 -0400
Jane and I took an Earth Day full-circuit hike around out property this
morning, ending in a light April rain. This is on our farm on Flint Ridge
in western Muskingum County, comprising 57 acres of hilltop pasture and
successional field, bordered by three forested ravines. It is not a migrant
trap of any sort, but it is a destination for numerous annual nesters. In
just the past three days there have been many arrivals.

Some highlights:

Warblers -
Louisiana waterthrush - I usually hear these by the second week of April,
but they seem a bit late this year, with the first heard Tuesday 4/19. Now
at least two territories in two separate ravines.
Ovenbird - first heard Wednesday, this morning at least one was withing
hearing almost all the time. I would guess four territories.
Yellow-rumped - a small flock passing through this morning.
Redstart - first of season, singing high in the trees in the deepest, most
easterly ravine, near "Valhalla Falls."

Thrushes - of course bluebirds and robins have been around all winter, but
wood thrushes first heard Wednesday evening, and now their voices fill the
forest... always delightful.

Scarlet tanager - I heard my season's first this morning, singing its raspy
recitative in the treetops at the northeast corner, a usual nesting area.

House wren - I heard my first of season this morning, although I noticed
some broken sparrow eggs in the pasture yesterday, so they may have been
here for a day or two.

Migrant sparrows - Our field and chipping sparrows have been here for a
while now. But both Tuesday and Wednesday a minor flock of both
white-throated and white-crowned moved through, their voices announcing
their passage.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County