From:
"J. Hochadel" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J. Hochadel
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2016 21:19:28 -0400
This morning's five mile walk provided some interesting birds along the
bike trail. I tallied 42 species for the morning. There were quite a few
new arrivals, with a few surprises, and good numbers of several species.

*Highlights include:*
Green-winged Teal - 2 (a pair)
Blue-winged Teal - 2 males
Canada Goose - one of the nests recently hatched, as there were two adults
with 7 very yellow, fluffy goslings (looked like they were only a few days
old)
Cooper's Hawk - 1 (startled it - it was on/near a nest)
Northern Harrier - 1 (was being chased by a Red-tailed Hawk)
Wild Turkey - 5 (saw all five, two were calling to each other across the
trail)
Black-bellied Plover - 2 (feeding on the mudflats in a field)
Ruddy Turnstone - 2 (feeding on the mudflats in a field)
Wilson's Snipe - 1
Eastern Phoebe - 1
House Wren - 5
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 3 (all very vocal)
Hermit Thrush - 1
Warbling Vireo - 1
Yellow Warbler - 4
Rose-breasted Grosbeak - 1
Eastern Towhee - 17 (includes one pair that I watched for ~10 minutes)
Chipping Sparrow - 3
Field Sparrow - 1
Song Sparrow - bountiful, singing all along the trail (I should have
counted them...)
Swamp Sparrow - 1
White-throated Sparrow - 32 (includes one flock of 14; many were singing)

I also had the pleasure of watching a female Red Fox with two playful
pups/kits. :D  They were only about 1/3 of her size, very fluffy, and full
of energy. This made my day. :)

Happy Earth Day,
Judy Hochadel