From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2016 09:53:27 -0400
Greetings!

In an effort to get more people to look for every species of bird they can
at Magee Marsh during the Biggest Week, and not just the special ones, I
present the following  challenge that is in no way part of the official
festivities.:

Every year Tom Bartlett has a Big Sit on the traditional big Saturday of
the biggest week.  This year it's the 14th.

This year I propose that all who are going to Magee on the 13th or 14th of
May to have there own Beat Tom Challenge.  Here is the challenge as I laid
down to Tom on Facebook,  and I invite you to do your own challenge:

":-D I just had a crazy idea...

5/14 is the Big Sit, where while everyone else is walking all over the
place looking for birds,  Tom Bartlett sits in one place and finds a crazy
amount of birds...while raising money for a good cause. My plan for
Saturday is to do what I have started doing for the last few years, donate
$10, sit with him the entire time, from 5 to 5...just enjoying the birds
and the spectacle of the Biggest Day of the Biggest Week. But this year,
this year I think I'm going to do something a little different.

I am going to come in on Friday 5/13 and bird the estuary drive, the
boardwalk, the beach, and the estuary trail....I figure if things hold
stable I should be able to pull about 80 species from that route...maybe
more, but that is a good goal to work for.

Now Tom is a much better birder than I am, his ears and his ID by call is
legendary. He can be at his spot, and hear bitterns and owls in the
estuary(to be fair, I have too. :-D).  If I remember correctly, Tom's
highest is around 102. But his normal year is anywhere from 80 to 90...with
a few 50s and 60s mixed in.

So here is my challenge to Tom Bartlett. For every bird over what I find by
sight or sound on Friday(up to 80), I will put another $1 in the pot up to
$20.  If I find 64 then you only need to get to 84 for the full $20 if I
get 80...you're going to have to have a record year. :-D

And here is my challenge to others that will be there.  Give what you
always give, but then like me try and beat Tom. Do your best, but keep in
the confines of Tom's ears and scope(Estuary to about 100-200 yards
offshore), and either Friday or Saturday (13th or 14th).  Baring a front
moving in during the overnight, you should be on an equal footing. Make
sure to look up...sometimes WAY up...for more birds. If he beats you, for
every species he beats you, donate more to his jar...maybe a quarter, 50
cents, maybe a dollar per bird...whatever...just have fun doing it. :-D"

Tom has accepted my challenge. :-D  Tom's best year was not 102 but 112; 5
times he have broken 100 in 21 years. 186 species have been observed in the
21 years with an average of 91 per year.  He will email anyone a BIG SIT
checklist if you ask.

For those interested in Tom's mission,  here's the link:
http://www.biggestweekinamericanbirding.com/tom-bartletts-big-sit.html

So now I invite you to join me in the Beat Tom Challenge...give what you
normally give, but then set a goal, whether beat your list or beat a
number...and if he beats your goal, give more.

Happy birding and God bless,

Steve J.