From:
"Coy, Patrick G." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Coy, Patrick G.
Date:
Sat, 30 Apr 2016 00:19:28 +0000
Karin Tanquist and I had two Black Vultures this evening in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park along Riverview Road just north of Peninsula village.

They were feeding on a dead Grey Squirrel that was probably road kill and that had been dragged out of the road on to a driveway. They were accompanied by 10 Turkey Vultures, the latter of which were congregated on the roof of the home and the garage while the much more tame Black Vultures fed on the squirrel not 20 feet from us while we sat in our stopped car on the road.

There were some Black Vultures seen many times this winter in Brecksville on the roof of the Brecksville school in downtown Brecksville, probably only six or so miles away, as the Vulture glides. Perhaps these are the same, perhaps not; in either event, having Black Vultures here at the end of April might suggest some nesting in the Cuyahoga Valley?

Patrick Coy
Peninsula, OH